Saturday 4 August 2012

Top Shot - my hero George Reinas

There are two things that have played over in my mind often this past couple of weeks. The final of Series 2 of Top Shot, and the very end of a programme by Stephen Hawking about the birth of the Universe. My tastes are wide and fairly shallow, this exposure to all manner of opinions helps me know myself.

On a scientific level I believe all that Stephen Hawking, Paul Davies and any other eminent science boffin tells me. I am in awe that there are brains available to humans that are capable of calculations of this degree. But I am shocked by Stephen's view that ALL is positive and negative energy, that there is no god or afterlife. How someone so learned, can learn such a narrow view over 70 years is astounding. I have learned in only half that time, that there is more to life than scientific evidence, and more to life than blind faith.

George Reinas is a name we need to remember. He didn't win Top Shot. The fact that there are people who truly can 'put their money where their mouth is' makes me know that no matter what, science or religion, humans are the best of gods or positive/negative forces creations. George is a man-mountain type A personality, a sniper and not even 30. His heart is bigger than his mouth. To watch him bow out of the final three, to allow Chris Reed to go on to win, was true beauty. A lifelong friendship formed before my eyes.

We are given prophets. Or angels, or whatever you want to call them. Of course we are also given horrors of negativity or lucifers, or whatever you want to call them. I choose to listen to the prophets, the cocky ones like George and the ones like Aron Ralston. Aron's personal re-telling on Enough Rope of his experience in Utah is better than any sermon I've ever heard (not that many). It will stay with me for life.

Listen carefully.

Love to all xx


No comments:

Post a Comment