Sunday 26 February 2012

Dazed and Confused

I have been trying to process the latest turn of events. Am left feeling like I am dangling at the end of a broken spider web, blowing in the breeze. Dramatic, maybe. Because the devil is always in the detail, it is a lot of explaining that will fall on deaf ears here. But my Professor did not ring me as he promised. That is problem number one. If they were selling me something, I would have to screen my calls to avoid them. But people who move up the ladder need to complete their jobs, regardless. My best ever boss was so absolutely capable of doing every task within the office, thoroughly. This means finishing off. If you say to somebody, twice, clearly, that you will ring them about their surgery, this is what needs to happen. I will clarify all of this now on Wednesday when I have to go back to see the Prof at 12.00. My surgery is now booked for 8th March. I rang his office on Friday at 2pm to see if there was any news, his receptionist said he was not there and she would ring me back. She did with the news that I needed to come back in this Wed and surgery booking. She knew nothing else.

I am going to get the information repeated to me this Wednesday, but this is why I am so confused (PLEASE if you can explain any of this, send me your comments) - Prof said that he thinks this tumour is a 'new primary'. I said 'what do you mean? the pathology confirms that it is signet ring adenocarcinoma, so how can it be a 'new primary'. He said it is called met???? cancer. Not Metastatic, I have heard that word a number of times. He said that because the new tumour is inside my colon, that it is not a metastasis from the original cancer, because that would have showed up in my liver or lungs. Well this is the first I have heard of this. Wouldn't a 'new primary' be another type of cancer cell?

Anyways, crux of problem is the political minefield that peritonectomy surgery is trampling through here in Western Australia. Timing is everything, huh. And mine is off. I am going to be given a band-aid solution because the surgery I need is not currently available due to Government wrangling about which Hospital to use. If ever I wanted to be rich, money wise, it is now. I could just jet off and get the surgery I need.

Love to all xx

2 comments:

  1. Go to Thailand...they do all kinds of ops and it's handy for you! Joking apart your Prof sounds a bit worrying...cancer can metastasise (or whatever the word is) differently from the more common patterns. Carole's for instance skipped the usual places and went to her spine... Some of the things 'consultants' sometimes say makes you wonder if they're still examining sacrificial entrails instead of their patients' own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabi, yes Thailand I think would be good, might get some new cleavage at the same time. :-)

      Delete